Friday, October 1, 2010

Mystery solved!

The other day I called for a cab, waited for ages before it appeared and actually had to flag it down before it would stop for me. Still I didn't think anything was amiss. I just thought the driver was not very smart.

Upon boarding the cab, I recited my mobile number out of habit.

Hi, I called for a cab, my number is 945xxxxx.
Huh? You called?
Yes. (Why else would I board your cab?!?)
Oh.

Silence.

At this point, I was really convinced that the driver wasn't too bright. Just as I was about to ask him to drive me to Heeren, the driver spoke.

Are you Mr Peter?
What??
Mr Peter. Your handphone number is correct but I'm expecting a gentleman.
Mr Who??? Do I look like a man??

The driver pointed at the screen.

Some operator at Comfort Delgro must not like me much! He/she changed my name to Mr Peter and so while the number is right, the name is so wrong!

Which explains why I have been getting strange looks from cab drivers recently whenever I booked a taxi. One driver called me on the phone while I was in his cab to verify that I was the one who made the booking. Another driver probably figured I'm no Mr Peter and even cancelled the booking fee. Not that I'm complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment