Thursday, June 2, 2011

I blame it on the french fries and my big fat mouth

If only I could moon you!


One of the scariest things to me is to have a conversation with a mom. To this, I mean a mom who wants to talk about her child/children. As far as possible, I really do try to avoid this topic. Although it has become increasingly difficult since many people around me have children.

I find it scary because it is almost impossible to 'talk' to them. Surely talking, being a means of communication, involves 2-way traffic? You say something and I respond, and we continue to take turns. But moms on the topic of their chilren I realised don't necessarily want a response, and least of all, an honest opinion. More often they want affirmation, empathy or just a nod to show that you are listening. This then results in a very lop-sided and 'passive' conversation. The mom dominates the talk while I smile politely. Boring? Oh hell yes! But at least it keeps me out of trouble and our friendship intact.

Today I made the fatal mistake of not affirming, not nodding, not showing empathy. Today at lunch, I opened my big fat mouth.

A friend was recounting how her toddler was playing with her iPhone and subsequently lost it. We know the gadget is not cheap and understandably she was upset. Waving a french fry in one hand, I laughed and jokingly asked if she disciplined her child.

SUPER BIG mistake.

There was an instant look of annoyance, followed by a quick retort.

Discipline?!? He's so young, he won't know what he did was wrong.

And to drive home the message, she quickly added:

I bet if you have a child, you will over indulge him. You are not a mother, you will never understand.

Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment