Friday, March 25, 2011

Current read


J has had this book since he was diagnosed with AS 6 years ago. I never got around to reading it properly because each time he has an AS attack, I am more concerned about his pain, his intake of pain killers and his therapy sessions.

Recently I picked up the book because I realised that hell, I know nuts about AS except I have a husband who has the damn disease! So yes, it was embarrassment that drove me to read it.

Now, I have model answers for people who quiz me no end on it.
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis is a chronic, progressive, painful inflammatory rheumatic disease, which affects the spinal joints, in particular those at the base of the spine.

  • AS typically affects young people, beginning between the ages of 15 and 30. The average age onset of the disease is 24 years, but it may range from 8-45.

  • AS usually starts with a chronic low back pain and stiffness which in gradual and insidious in onset. It can take a LONG time, on average about 6 years (for J, it was 10), before the correct diagnosis is made.

  • Over many years, AS can result in gradually progressive stiffness and limitations of spinal mobility and also restricted expansion of the chest. (J is already experiencing all these.)

  • There is no cure for AS but the symptoms of back pain and stiffness usually respond well to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and a regular program of physical exercise. (Oh yes, Arcoxia is J's best friend.)

Interestingly, the author, Dr. Muhammad Asim Khan, is a rheumatologist and also suffers from a severe form of AS.

No comments:

Post a Comment